No two products can be the same, and similarly, solutions to these products must be diverse. Like a product, a website also needs to be unique. A website incorporates features that can help scale your business or offer unique solutions to your core business-related processes. A website needs to be fast and stable. At the same time, you will want your website to be engaging and accessible to all. This is when you will need a full stack developer. This article will introduce you to the concept of full-stack development and help you choose the best full-stack developer for hire.
A full-stack developer is a professional who can assist you with the development of the front end as well as the back end. As a web developer and a software engineer, a full-stack developer needs to be well-versed in different programming languages and web application tools. Let us first understand what full-stack development is.
What is full-stack development?
- An efficient and user-friendly website has two elements that need to work in harmony. The front end is also called the user end or client side. The second element is called the back end or server side.
- The front end or the client side of the website is visible to the user. This is where all engagement takes place and the visitors to your website interact.
- A website is hosted on a server where data is stored and the data is processed. Though these activities are not visible to users, nevertheless, these activities keep the website operational. All such operational tasks take place at the back end or server end.
- Full-stack web development is a process where the front end along with the back end of a website or web application, is developed.
- A professional who has the skill and knowledge to develop both these elements of a website is called a full-stack developer.
Now lets discuss what the skills that a full-stack developer needs to have are.
Key responsibilities of a full-stack developer
A full-stack developer is involved in all aspects of website development. His or her key responsibilities can be summarized as follows:
1. Knowledge of front-end development and framework
2. Knowledge of back-end architecture development
Knowledge of the server-side tools and Java frameworks such as Spring and Java Server faces is a must for a full-stack developer. Knowing back-end programming languages like PHP, Python, ASP, C#, or Node is necessary.
3. Database development and management
Knowledge of popular database management systems (DBMS) such as SQL, SQLite, or MongoDB is needed so that the developer can write codes for fetching data from the server.
4. Knowledge of web architecture
full-stack developers need to know about the structural elements of the web application. Knowledge of web hosting platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Heroku, and Microsoft Azure, along with Domain Name System and Database Servers is necessary.
5. Knowledge of Git and GitHub
A developer needs to know about a distributed version control system that allows error-solving and tracking of all activities related to the project file. Platforms like Git and GitHub are the most popular version control systems that developers use to manage and review their projects.
6. Good understanding of design
Knowledge of UX- UI design and an understanding of the fundamentals of design are expected from every full-stack developer. It is through basic knowledge of design that a full-stack developer can make the website aesthetically appealing to the users.
7. Analytical and strategizing skills
A full-stack developer is involved in the end-to-end planning and development of a project. This makes his role crucial, as he/she will have to take strategic decisions throughout the project’s life cycle. These decisions also need to be logical, and data-driven. This required an analytical mindset that could complete the development and deployment in a phased manner.
Why enterprises should hire a dedicated agency for full-stack development
Enterprises should hire full-stack development firms to create customized web and mobile applications that can efficiently cater to their business needs. full-stack development firms have a team of experts who can handle the entire development process, from front-end design to back-end programming. This allows enterprises to focus on their core competencies and reduce the burden of managing and maintaining their own development teams. In this section, we will discuss all the advantages of having an in-house full-stack developer:
Advantages of hiring a firm for full-stack development
- It will know all the approaches in a full-stack development project and use one as per the project requirement.
- As a single firm will be handling the end-to-end development work of the project. It will be easier to create project prototypes quickly.
- It will reduce the cost of paying for front-end and back-end development separately.
- Depending on the project’s need, the development firm can switch between front and back-end development.
- The full-stack development can become the single point of assistance required with new technologies or any aspect of the web application.
- Reduce the time needed for team management and communication.
How to find the best outsourcing solution for a full-stack development
Enterprises can find the best outsourcing solution for full-stack development by researching and comparing the expertise, experience, and portfolio of different firms, as well as their communication and project management processes. Here, are some ways a full-stack development firm
1. Conduct thorough research
It is crucial to conduct comprehensive research and evaluate multiple full-stack development firms. This includes examining their expertise and experience, looking at their past projects, and checking their references and reviews to ensure they have a proven track record of successful project delivery.
2. Evaluate communication and project management processes
Communication and project management are essential to ensure a successful outsourcing engagement. Evaluate the potential firms' communication channels and project management processes to ensure they align with the enterprise's needs and expectations.
3. Consider cost-effectiveness
Outsourcing full-stack development can save an enterprise significant amounts of time and money, but it is essential to compare the cost of outsourcing to the cost of in-house development. Ensure that the cost of outsourcing is justifiable and cost-effective for the enterprise.
4. Look for expertise in the latest technologies
full-stack development requires knowledge and expertise in the latest development technologies, including front-end, back-end, and database technologies. Choose a firm with a strong understanding of these technologies to ensure the enterprise receives a quality product.
5. Consider firms with a strong focus on security and quality assurance
Security and quality assurance are essential in any development project, especially in full-stack development. Choose a firm that has a strong focus on security and quality assurance to ensure the product meets the enterprise's standards and requirements.
However, before you hire a web development service, there are a few points that should be kept in mind.
1. The quality and number of full-stack developers
A crucial project with a strict timeline may need more than a single full-stack developer. Before hiring, it is important to know whether the developer has the necessary expertise. This can be done by interviewing the developers and testing their skills. Talking to the team will also give you a better idea of whether the agency has a pool of talent ready to join the project at any point.
2. Retention of employees
Most agencies hire professionals temporarily to cater to project-based requirements. As such, it is important to check what is the attrition rate in these companies so that key members who are involved in the strategic work of coding and designing do not leave the project hanging.
3. Quality Coding Engineers
Remember, no matter what system is put in place, once the project is complete, you would like to have full access to an optimized control panel through which you can add new features and update as you wish. Good coding will be reliable and dynamic so that you can incorporate changes even when you hire a new service agency for web development in the future.
4. Project roadmap
Most web development agencies will promise you increased sales, a better ROI, and a higher lead response rate! But do they have a specific plan or road map to achieve all this? Once you have had your initial discussion and shared your requirements, ask for a time-bound plan for the project. A time-bound plan will help you complete the project within a set timeline, and it will also save you from incurring added expenses.
5. Customer review
Finally, a very traditional approach to finding the best web development service for your e-commerce is to go through customer reviews. Check the glitches that get mentioned in Google reviews. You will know whether the web development company is truly offering the kind of solution they promised.
As per the reports of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, full-stack development jobs will increase from 135,000 to over 853,000 by 2024. As technology evolves, it is becoming more and more important for businesses to engage full-stack developers who are well-versed in every aspect of web application development. However, the lack of necessary resources in the local market can become a great hurdle for such businesses and entrepreneurs.
If you are looking to hire full stack developers, Owebest Technologies is the best place to find one! We offer complete full-stack development services and help you build web applications for different business requirements. Our professionals have years of experience and knowledge of the latest web technologies. Our reliable service has been helping small and medium businesses across the globe get the best IT support for their projects.